If you love to eat pizza in its high-carb, unhealthy deliciousness, then try making this recipe at home as a better alternative—one that’s packed with veggies and still tastes good.
TIP: Add your favorite pizza toppings to your own cauliflower pizza, such as onions, peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, or even pineapple!
What you need:
1 medium-sized head of cauliflower
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/4 cup of asiago cheese (grated)
tomato or marinana sauce
salt and pepper
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F with the pizza stone inside. (The stone must be heated at least one hour prior to baking to create a crisp and chewy crust.)
2. Wash your cauliflower and cut into smaller florets, removing the stems.
3. Put your florets into a food processor or blender and pulse about 8-10 times until it looks like fluffy snow.
4. Add the cauliflower ‘snow’ to a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in the microwave for approximately 3 1/2 minutes.
5. Remove the bowl and let it cool for 1 minute with the plastic wrap still on.
6. Remove the plastic wrap and dump the cauliflower into the center of a clean dishtowel. Let this cool approximately 8-10 minutes.
7. Once cool, twist the towel and wring it out over the sink or large bowl. Keep wringing it until no more water is coming out. (You should get close to over a cup of water.)
8. Add the dried cauliflower to a mixing bowl and add the rest of the seasonings (garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper) and egg. Mix well.
9. Place a sheet of parchment paper and spray it with a non-stick oil.
10. Split your dough in half and form each halve into an 8-inch round pizza. Try using a rubber spatula to press the dough down and tighten up the edges. Make sure your dough is even throughout and less than 1/2 inch thick.
11. Slide the parchment paper with the dough on top onto a pizza stone in the oven. Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until golden.
12. Pull your cauliflower crust out and top with sauce and cheese. Bake in the over for another 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
13. Remove and enjoy!
Photo by Vanessa Cardy