Applications for the Fall 2018 Staff have closed. Please check back next semester.
Our editorial division consists of all writers, editors, photographers and graphic designers for both the web and print issues of VALLEY.
No prior journalism experience is required! All prospective writers will join our staff first as web writers, responsible for contributing at minimum one article per week to our website. After one semester on staff, you will then be eligible to write for our bi-annually published print magazine.
Admittance into our writing staff is based on a combined application/audition process. Below you can find the application, which has more information and should be brought to auditions completed.
Auditions will be held on Sunday, April 22, at 5 p.m. in 103 Willard Building.
If you have any questions or to inquire about make-up auditions, please email Maggie Kreienberg at email@example.com.
Admittance into our photography staff is based on a combined application and portfolio review process. Photo assignments could consist of commercial, advertisement, beauty/fashion and events around campus, including THON. If interested, please send the application, your résumé and a portfolio/sample of your work to Maria Crisafulli at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Valley Photo Application” by Sunday, April 22 at 5 p.m.
We invite students of all majors with an interest in photography to apply. However, some necessary qualifications include:
- Must be a full-time Penn State student
- Must own or have access to an SLR digital camera
- Proficient experience with Photoshop
- Good time-management skills
- Respect for deadlines
As a photographer for VALLEY Magazine you will:
- Attend weekly meetings
- Have the opportunity to shoot for our bi-annual print editions of the magazine
- Be required to submit photographs for 1-2 online articles per week
Who you are:
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
- After Effects and HTML/CSS are a plus
- Detail oriented
- Good at receiving feedback/critique
- Can follow brand guidelines
- loves VALLEY!
What you will do:
- create illustrations and animated graphics for online articles and social media
- become a part of the VALLEY community
If this sounds like you, please send an email to email@example.com with relevant work (either digital PDF or website) and a brief statement about why you’d be right for this position by Sunday, April 22 at 5 p.m.
As a video staff member, you are responsible for creating one original video each week. You must have video editing experience and be able to create videos that align with the VALLEY brand.
The application is due by Sunday April 22 at 5 p.m. and people can contact Mayra at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maggie at email@example.com if they have any questions!
We are looking for someone who is well-versed in WordPress that can help us improve and maintain our website. Ideally you should have some experience in coding, web design and app development. You would work directly with the Web Director. If you are interested in the position, please email a copy of your résumé to Maggie Kreienberg at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, April 22 at 5 p.m.
Our business division is broken up into Advertising (Ad Sales), Events, Public Relations/Marketing and Social Media.
Each of the four divisions has it’s own separate application, all of which can be found below. You may be called for an interview with your prospective director.
If you are interested in applying for more than one position, please make note of this on your applications and note which other divisions you are applying to.
ADVERTISING (AD SALES)
Responsibilities include booking and developing print/online ads with local State College businesses, and to create and update media kits. Email the application and your résumé to Cassie DeLaCruz at email@example.com and Alexa Turkovich at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, April 22 at 5 p.m.
You will have the unique opportunity to work with the Editorial and Business divisions to create new social media content. If interested, please complete this application by Sunday, April 22 at 5 p.m. Contact Samanta Rodriguez at email@example.com with any questions.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube.
- Agree not to write or work for any other publication specific to our campus.
- Able to adhere to VALLEY social media style.
- Willing to commit to 24/7 social media management responsibility.
We are seeking creative, driven and committed applicants to join the team. This new committee will involve a lot of fundraising and creating new ways to draw in revenues. Apply here by Sunday, April 22 at 5 p.m. Please contact Cassandra Kearns at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Our Events Staff is currently full for the Fall 2018 semester. Please contact Kaitlin Miller at email@example.com or Alexa Turkovich at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, or to learn how to get involved Spring 2019.
Responsibilities include organizing promotional events and fundraisers, overseeing VALLEY Week, planning and executing our launch party and more.
Our PR/Marketing Staff is currently full for the Fall 2018 semester. Please contact Caroline Sorrentino at email@example.com or Alexa Turkovich at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, or to learn how to get involved in Spring 2019.
Responsibilities include sending out fundraising and awareness letters, booking on-campus promotions for VALLEY Week, and other promotional events throughout the semester.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ALL VALLEY MAGAZINE STAFF MEMBERS
- Attend weekly Monday night meetings — Business at 8 p.m. and Editorial at 8 p.m.
- Attend, participate and contribute to all VALLEY Magazine events.
- Agree to not write or work for other publications specific to our campus. This includes The Daily Collegian, Onward State, HerCampus, The Odyssey Online and Spoon University (PSU). If you have any questions regarding whether a publication you currently write or work for is acceptable, please email Maggie Kreienberg at email@example.com.
- Agree to commit to our staff for the entire semester.