We are no longer accepting applications for Spring 2017 editorial and business staff! Check back in April 2017!
Our editorial division consists of all writers, editors, photographers and graphic designers for both the web and print issues of Valley.
No prior journalism experience is required! All prospective writers will join our staff first as web writers, responsible for contributing at minimum one article per week to our website. After one semester on staff, you will then be permitted to write for our bi-annually published print magazine.
Admittance into our writing staff is based on a combined application/audition process. Below you can find the application, which has more information and should be brought to auditions completed. If you have any questions, please email Kayleigh Barber at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Photographers -Check back again for more info about how to join our photography staff!
Admittance into our photography staff is based on a combined application and portfolio review process. Photo assignments could consist of commercial, advertisement, beauty/fashion, and events around campus, including THON. If interested, please send the application, your resume, the application and a portfolio/sample of your work to Kayleigh Barber at email@example.com and Vanessa Feng at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite students of all majors with an interest in photography to apply. However, some necessary qualifications include:
- Must be a full-time Penn State student
- Must own or have access to an SLR digital camera
- Proficient experience with Photoshop
- Good time-management skills
- Respect for deadlines
As a photographer for Valley Magazine you will:
- Attend weekly Monday night meetings with Valley’s editorial staff
- Have the opportunity to shoot for our bi-annual print editions of the magazine
- Be required to submit photographs for 1-2 online articles per week
Our business division is broken up into Advertising (Ad Sales), Events, Public Relations/Marketing and Social Media.
Each of the four divisions has it’s own separate application, all of which can be found below. You may be called for an interview with your prospective director.
If you are interested in applying for more than one position, please make note of this on your applications and note which other divisions you are applying to.
Advertising (Ad Sales)
Responsibilities include booking and developing print/online ads with local State College businesses, and to create and update media kits. Email the application and your resume to Erin Rogers at email@example.com and Zoey Gottlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities include organizing promotional events and fundraisers, overseeing Valley Week, planning and implementing our annual spring fashion show and more. Email the application and your resume to Emily Carmosino at email@example.com and Zoey Gottlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities include sending out fundraising and awareness letters, booking on-campus promotions for Valley Week, and other promotional events throughout the semester. Email the application and your resume to Sarah Abdallah at email@example.com and Zoey Gottlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social Media– We are NOT accepting applications for this division right now.
You will have the unique opportunity to work with each individual Editorial and Business division to create new social media content. There will be, for the moment, six positions available. Each social media staff member will be assigned one social media platform to manage: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Familiarity with any of the aforementioned social media platforms.
- Agree not to write or work for any other publication specific to our campus.
- Able to attend Business –and– Editorial meetings every Monday evening from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- Willing to commit to 24/7 social media management responsibility.
What is expected of all Valley Magazine staff members
- Attend weekly Monday night meetings — Business at 8 p.m. and Editorial at 8 p.m.
- Attend, participate and contribute to all Valley Magazine events.
- Agree to not write or work for other publications specific to our campus. This includes The Daily Collegian, Onward State, HerCampus and Spoon University (PSU). If you have any questions regarding whether a publication you currently write or work for is acceptable, please email Kayleigh Barber at email@example.com
- Agree to commit to our staff for the entire semester.