Halloween is just around the corner and if you have absolutely zero ideas of what to dress up as, trust us, you’re not alone. Whether it’s a store bought or DIY costume, your options are practically limitless, and it can definitely be overwhelming. Can we just skip the planning process and jump ahead to taking cute Instagram pictures with friends in matching costumes? If only. In order to simplify your Halloween costume hunt, (and to avoid another clown epidemic), Valley narrowed down a list of fun costume ideas for you and your squad with looks based off of pop-culture events and classic movies. These costumes are super relevant and will allow your crew to avoid the awkward “Um, what are you supposed to be?” moment. Keep scrolling for costume ideas and tips to make this your most coordinated, least stressful Halloween yet!
Tips on group costumes
- Establish a general budget. Money is a big concern for a majority of college students, so be mindful that this budget is reasonable for everyone.
- Create a list of everything you could possibly need (face paint, glitter, sunglasses, etc.) so you avoid those panic stricken last-minute store runs.
- Allow everyone in your group to contribute a suggestion and from there unanimously agree to one idea.
- If one person is in charge of getting a certain piece of a costume, make sure she/he knows everyone’s sizes (make a list on a phone/write it down).
- Be as explicit as possible about what that person (see tip #4) should be looking for in the store/online.
- Kids from Stranger Things
This is a great costume if you have a group of guys and girls you want to dress up with. Every character has a different look, so if the whole matchy-matchy concept isn’t for you, suggest this idea!
- The Final Five
Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, Laurie Hernandez, and Madison Kocian set records in Rio this summer, going down as one of the most successful gymnastics teams in history. A red, white, and blue leotard, high bun, gold medals, and tons of glitter will help you achieve this look.
- Powerpuff Girls
Major throwback to your childhood with this one. Replicate Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup with pink, blue, and green dresses, (don’t forget the white tights/thigh highs).
- Mean Girls
Channel you inner “Plastic” with a pink mini skirt, blouse, and pumps. And don’t even think about wearing your white-gold hoops if you aren’t the Regina of the group.
This costume is less demanding, using pieces that you may already have in your closet. A baseball tee/jersey, baseball hat, jean cut-offs, and sneakers are all you need!
- Pink Ladies
There’s no denying how cool those matching pink jackets look, even 40 years later. Wear a pair of cat-eye sunglasses and a neck scarf for some retro vibes.
- Orange is the New Black
This Netflix original series calls for an easy outfit of orange prisoner jumpsuit or scrubs paired with black sneakers.
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump
Start with a power suit and do what you will from there. This duo is sure to start some interesting conversation.
Whether you’re taking a trip down memory lane or opting for a modern movie or figure to impersonate,
Remember this holiday comes once a year, so don’t feel the need to spend your life savings on an obscure piece you’ll never wear again. Half the fun of dressing up is putting the costume together, so until you get an invite to one of Heidi Klum‘s over-the-top Halloween parties, don’t be hung up about achieving the ~perfect~ costume.