Everyone loves breakfast food; waffles, pancakes, sugary cereal, bagels, you name it— it’s amazing. Ideally, we should all eat egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast every day to try to stay healthy but let’s be real, life is too short to pass up the buttered rolls and maple syrup soaked pancakes. However, breakfast is supposed to be your biggest and most nutritious meal of the day, but it’s pretty obvious that most of the foods we decide to eat in the morning are anything but healthy. And while it’s almost impossible to break the bagel and cream cheese habit most of us have fallen victim too in college, we’re still going to encourage you to stray from your norms and try a recipe that is healthy, but still satisfies that early morning craving for something sweet and delicious.
With this Homemade Protein Cinnabon recipe, it’s finally possible to put “healthy” and “gooey cinnamon rolls” in the same sentence. These protein cinnamon rolls taste just as good as the real thing, but minus the insane amount of calories. Instead, they are packed with protein and nutritious ingredients making them the perfect way to start your day.
Recipe (Makes Four Servings)
For the Cinnamon Roll
What you’ll need:
1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
¼ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
4 Egg Whites
For the Icing
What You’ll Need:
½ Cup Greek Yogurt
½ Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Honey for sweetening (optional)
What To Do:
- Mix your vanilla protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, egg whites and cinnamon in a blender until smooth.
- Pour your mixture into a pan sprayed generously with non-stick spray, cover it and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- While the cinnamon roll is cooking on the pan, take your Greek yogurt, protein powder and cinnamon and mix them together in a bowl. Feel free to add some honey if you want your icing a little sweeter.
- After your cinnamon roll is cooked, flip it out of your pan onto a plate and cut it into approximately 1-inch slices.
- Cover each slice in your icing, roll them up and use a toothpick to hold the roll in place.
This Protein Cinnabon recipe is the perfect alternative to the regular breakfast food options that are bursting in carbohydrates and artificial sugars. You can even take this meal to the next level by adding fresh fruit to your plate such as berries or bananas. There will always be that constant battle between wanting to be healthy and wanting to eat every single piece of junk food you see, but luckily, this recipe satisfies both of those desires.