As everyone is under the stress of unprecedented times and global panic, many celebrities have taken to social media to encourage others to stay home and stop the spread of COVID-19. Others, like Rihanna, have taken it a step further, using their platform to give back to those in need.
Rihanna’s charity, Clara Lionel Foundation, has donated $5 million to several organizations in hopes of assisting those who are especially vulnerable to the pandemic.
Rihanna started this foundation in 2012, and named it in honor of her grandparents. This non-profit organization funds emergency response programs all over the globe.
Those programs include the following:
- Direct Relief
- Feeding America
- Partners in Health
- The World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund
- The International Rescue Committee
What do any of these funds go to, you ask? According to the Clara Lionel Foundation website, funds will support:
• Local food banks serving at-risk communities and the elderly in the United States
• Acceleration of testing and care in countries like Haiti and Malawi, as well as the mobilization of resources and additional capacity and support for Native communities
• Protective equipment for front line health workers and diagnostic labs, the establishment and maintenance of intensive care units, and acceleration of the development of vaccines and other therapies across the globe
• Healthcare worker training, virus prevention and containment in countries that will be on the frontlines of the COVID-19 response
• Distribution of critical respiratory supplies
The website comments, “We know that one of the most powerful weapons we have against COVID-19 is preparedness.”
Looking to donate? Go to claralionelfoundation.org