Well, thatâ€™s all folks. The writers of A Dash of Healthy are both graduating this spring, so whatever becomes of this blog (hopefully new, bigger, better recipes!), we wonâ€™t be writing it. But weâ€™ve been so happy to spend our Saturdays cooking in our tiny college kitchens, and for the opportunity to share our creations withÂ ValleyÂ readers.
So itâ€™s only fitting that we go out with a bang. This week, we give you the honey almond cake. Itâ€™s moist, perfectly sweet, and wonderfully nutty. Perfect for your summer dinner party (or graduation party!) and so easy to make!
What youâ€™ll need:
A baking pan
Unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
1 Â¾Â cups almond flour (also called almond meal)
4 large eggs at room temperature, yolks and whites separated
Â½ cup plus 2 tbsp honey, divided
Â½ tsp vanilla extract
Â½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
2-3 drops juice from 1 lemon
fruit or powdered sugar as an optional garnish (we used both!)
an electric mixer
2 mixing bowls
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350Â°F and position rack in center of oven.
2. Grease a baking pan with butter
3. In the bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, baking soda, and salt until well combined and lightened in color, about 5 minutes. Add almond flour and beat at low speed until combined, about 1 minute longer.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites at low speed until foamy. Add 2-3 drops of lemon juice, increase mixer speed to medium, and mix until soft peaks form, about 10 minutes.
5. Fold in the egg whites in small parts, stirring well to thoroughly.
6. Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes (do not open the oven or move the cake during this time).
7. Remove the cake from the oven. Brush cake with honey and add desired toppings.