Let’s face it: nothing beats dessert. Any way you cut it (literally), it’s the perfect end to a meal.
But, the side-effects of chocolate and eating a lot of sugar in general are way less fun. From stomach aches to acne to weight gain, a diet high in sugar can interfere with feeling and looking your best. But who wants to give up dessert altogether? Not us.
The key is moderation and finding desserts that are satisfying enough that you don’t have to eat huge amounts of them to feel satisfied (and then sick 30 minutes later). Lucky for you, we’ve taken the time to put together a recipe that’s not only deliciously sugary, chocolatey and custard-y, but it’s healthy too, so you can indulge without feeling guilty.
What you’ll need:
medium-sized mixing bowl
2 medium very ripe bananas
1 large egg
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup coconut sugar, plus 2 tbsp. for topping
2 tsp. pure vanilla
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
Chocolate Ganache Topping
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup or half stick of butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream
What to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 375°.
2. In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add egg, coconut, coconut sugar, vanilla, butter and salt and stir until mixed thoroughly and smooth.
3. Pour batter into the greased muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes or until middle is set (check with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go).
4. Take cups out of pan immediately and cool on a separate plate.
5. In a microwaveable bowl, add chocolate chips, butter, vanilla and heavy cream.
6. Microwave for one minute, take out and stir. Continue to microwave the mixture one minute at a time and mixing it until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thoroughly combined.
7. Whisk thoroughly and then spoon onto cups evenly. Sprinkle coconut sugar onto to each cup while the chocolate is still warm as a garnish.
8. Enjoy cups hot or refrigerate until chocolate sets and enjoy cold.