I wouldn’t consider myself a vegetarian, but sometimes I go through vegetarian phases. Or, I simply have no meat products left in my fridge and money’s tight. However, I still think it’s important to consume an adequate amount of protein with each meal. Therefore, I came up with an amazingly filling, healthy and delicious vegetarian breakfast sandwich.
Ingredients you’ll need:
Two slices of bread for the sandwich (I used a croissant)
Condiments for the bread (I used Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard)
Veggie Burger (I used Dr. Praeger’s California Veggie Burgers)
One egg and butter for frying
One slice of cheese (I used Munster)
What to do:
1. Slice your bread and toast if necessary.
2. Spread the condiments on bread.
3. Lay the spinach leaves on top of the bread slices.
4. Fry the egg on a skillet using butter, or a butter substitute, until it is cooked enough without solidifying the yolk.
5. Heat the veggie burger in a microwave for one minute and 30 seconds. Flip the veggie burger and lay the slice of cheese on top. Heat the two for another one minute.
6. Add the veggie burger with the cheese to one side of bread. Slice the avocado and add to your sandwich.
7. Remove the fried egg from skillet with a spatula and lay it on top of the avocado.
8. Place the final piece of bread with the spinach on top of your egg to close your sandwich. Cut in half, watch the egg yolk drip out and enjoy!
Photos by Anna Marmorstein