Sometimes we need a change from the typical trail mix. Our snacks deserve a little spice now and again. This spicy and sweet cocktail nut recipe gives you the perfect way to amp up your healthy snack.
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cups pistachios
2 eggs whites
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
Â¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon rosemary
Instead of buying all the nuts separately, we used one bag of Trader Joeâ€™s Fancy Raw Mixed Nuts and on bag of Trader Joeâ€™s Raw Shelled Pistachios.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large baking sheet. I used butter to grease the baking sheet, but you can substitute that with cooking spray.
2. Beat two egg whites until foamy. There are a few ways avoid the egg yolk. I cracked the egg and let the egg whites drip out while pouring the egg yolk back and forth between the two eggshell halves.
3. Mix all of the sugar, spices and rosemary into a large bowl.
4. Pour the egg whites into the large bowl containing the spice mixture. Stir the mixture until it is completely mixed together.
5. Toss all of your nuts into the egg and spice combination. Mix the contents of the bowl around with a fork until the nuts are sufficiently coated in the batter.
6. Spread the coated nuts onto your greased baking sheet.
7. Place the baking sheet into the middle rack of your oven for ten minutes.
8. After ten minutes, remove the pan from the oven and mix the nuts around with a fork. Mixing the nuts ensures that the nuts wonâ€™t be stuck together like a brittle.
9. Place the baking sheet back into the oven for ten minutes. After, remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the nuts cool. They will be sticky from the heat but will cool off and solidify.
10. Enjoy as soon as their cool. Store them in an airtight container for about a week.
Â Photos by Anna Marmorstein