This is a fresh, DIY American twist on the classic denim shorts, inspired by a post on Free Peopleâ€™s blog.Â In six easy steps you have the perfect pair of â€˜Merica shorts. Just wait until the paint is dry before you slip into them. Happy crafting!
1. Pick the right pair of shorts. Donâ€™t pick your favorite pair of shorts on your first try, just in case you mess up.
2. Buy the necessary supplies: blue paint- erâ€™s tape, red and white fabric stencil spray paint, foam paint brushes, a star stencil and a piece of scrap cardboard. All of these can be found at the Walmart.
3. Slip the cardboard in between the pant legs to create a solid base for painting.
4. Using the white paint, paint the stars on the front left side of the shorts. Painting with the star stencil is tricky, so use dou- ble-sided tape to adhere the stencil to the shorts before you start.
5. After you stencil paint the stars, remove the stencils and make small touch-ups by hand to perfect the shape.
6. Paint the stripes using the red paint. Tape your painterâ€™s tape in vertical strips down the front right side of the shorts. We used five different strips of tape, all vary- ing lengths depending on where they were located on the shorts. Paint in between the strips of tape. Remove tape.
Editor’s note: Image featured is not the same as the steps listed below.
A version of this article was originally published in the Spring 2014 issue of Valley Magazine.Â