Each week, our own fitness fanatics Alexis Desrosiers, Jennifer Meyers and Emily Keifline will explore the latest workout crazes, diet fads and dish out tips for healthy living. Managing your schoolwork is tough enough- let us take care of your health.
It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why do many of us continue to skip it? Eating breakfast boosts our metabolism, helps us stay more focused in class, and can even make us happier.
These “Overnight Oats” takes only seconds to prepare in the morning (since the prep work needs to be done the night before), giving you no excuse to skip out on all the benefits of breakfast!
What you’ll need:
1/3 cup of oats
1/3 cup of almond/soy milk
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tablespoon of your favorite nut butter
½ mashed banana
1 dash of cinnamon
1 tsp of sugar (optional)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
What to do:
1. To start off, mash one half of a banana with the back of your fork into a bowl. Next, add your oats and milk. Stir this mixture, than add your chia seeds, cinnamon, and your favorite nut butter. (I recommend the crunchy salted peanut butter with flax and chia seeds from Trader Joe’s!)
2. Mix these ingredients together, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge overnight.
3. In the morning, take off the plastic wrap and nuke your oatmeal for 30-45 seconds. Grab your favorite Greek yogurt (I prefer vanilla flavored) and spread it on top of the oats. It melts on top, turning it into a frosting consistency! Lastly, top it off with some truvia or stevia, a dash of cinnamon, and you have yourself a nice, filling, nutritious breakfast!
4. You could top this recipe with berries or granola as well- feel free to spice it up however you’d like!
5. Start your day off right, go make some oats!