Valley decided to put together a list of ultimate travel and vacation hacks to help you plan your epic summer with ease. Not sure what or how to pack? Need a cheap, yet super fun destination to go with your friends? We have you covered!
The Pack Hack
Before you head off on your trip, you are going to have to pack. Here are five pack hacks to help cram all of the clothes and shoes you probably won’t wear into your suitcase:
1. Ditch the folding method and start to roll your leggings, shirts and jeans to help save space in your suitcase. For the clothes you have to fold, invest in some compression bags to store them in.
2. Put all of your bobby pins or other small hair accessories in a tic-tac container so you don’t lose them.
3. Place a cotton pad or a soft tissue over your compact powder, blush or other cosmetics to ensure they don’t break during your travels.
4. Try to find an old sunglasses case to store your phone chargers and other power cords in. This will not only keep you from losing them, but it will also prevent them from getting tangled.
5. If you can find the travel size versions of your favorite products, bring them along instead of the full size. If they don’t make your favorite shampoo or face wash in a travel size, buy a small plastic container and pour your products in them instead.
Cheap Vacation Destinations
We can’t all afford to jet off to Tahiti or the Bahamas over the summer – student loan debt is real and it is thriving. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t still travel to an awesome location. Here are three destinations that won’t break the bank:
1. According to U.S. Travel News, YellowStone National Park was ranked one of the most affordable travel destinations within the past few years. From the gorgeous scenery to the iconic Old Faithful geyser, this pocket friendly trip is perfect for those who love to hike, camp and enjoy all that nature has to offer.
National parks in general are great, affordable road trip travel destinations. Keep a look out for some that may be near you.
2. Summer without a beach trip is like a trip to Penn State without having creamery ice cream — it just doesn’t make sense, right? Ocean City, Maryland is one of the more affordable beaches along the east coast. With a long boardwalk filled with food and an amusement park, Ocean City is one of the best beaches to go to if you are just looking for a cheap couple of nights with your BFFs.
3. If you are looking to get out of the country and are in the search for a place a little more exotic, Costa Rica might be the place for you. This beautiful and diverse wonderland is filled with beaches, national parks, amazing food and a wide range of animals.
Valley understands that you might be thinking that there is no way Costa Rica is considered a cheap travel destination. However, most transportation throughout the islands may only set you back around ten dollars. Food is also known to be very inexpensive — who doesn’t love cheap food?
Hotels in San José range from prices as low as eight dollars per night. If you really want to be bold and take advantage of the beauty Costa Rica has to offer, look into backpacking some of the islands with your friends and family.
Beauty Travel Hacks
Trying to look good while on a ten hour flight or a day long car journey can be difficult. Here are some quick beauty hacks for your on-the-go adventures:
1. Who has time to straighten or curl their hair everyday while on vacation? Straighteners and curling irons can also take up a lot of space in your suitcase. Instead, try adding some sea salt spray to your hair while it’s damp and then braid it overnight. The next morning, you will wake up with super beachy, gorgeous waves.
2. If you end up forgetting your favorite eye shadow palette, or you don’t want to risk the shadows getting ruined during your trip, use your bronzer and highlighter as eyeshadow instead. Use your bronzer in the crease or the outer corner to add some depth and warmth to the eyes. Then, add the highlight on your brown bone and inner corner to make your eyes appear bigger and lighter.
3. If you don’t plan on wearing a lot of foundation or concealer during your trip, just add a little of the products into a contact lens case. One side can be for your foundation and the other for your concealer or primer. This is also perfect to throw in your bag for easy application throughout the day.
4. If you only bring two beauty items with you on your trip, make sure they are sunscreen and makeup wipes. Sunscreen is crucial wherever you end up this summer, and makeup wipes are essential for removing sweat from your body and freshening up throughout the day.
5. Long flights can result in dry, dehydrated skin. Purchase a sheet mask or two to place over your skin while on your flight. The Sephora brand makes a bunch of different masks for every skin type. They are also very inexpensive and slim, so you can fit a couple in your bag. Your skin will thank you!
Whether you are a freshman and you plan on celebrating the end of your first year at college, or you are a senior and you want to go on one last adventure before adulthood sinks in, let this summer be one to remember for years to come!