A good outfit comes together with the help of all the small details. It is key to have go-to accessories to rely on as the warmer months near and bright colors start to flood our closets. Luckily, one of the latest trends circling around Pinterest and TikTok would be that of chunky and colorful polymer clay rings. With so many possibilities, VALLEY is here to provide some inspiration and simple steps on how to create your very own rings to shake up your outfits with.
Where to Start
Before you start creating your rings it is important to get a sense of what kind of vibe you are going for. Once you figure that out, it will be a breeze to collect all the different colors of polymer clay and other materials you will need.
As for every DIY project, Pinterest has many posts that showcase the different styles you can choose from.
One TikTok creator, @carolinafreixa, made a video that might get your creative juices flowing.
Another creator, @andikagabriella, made a video showing their process of creating rings.
Ready to Create?
Once you have a basic idea of what type of rings you want to create, it is time to get your supplies. One of the best things about this project is that not many materials are needed and it is a fairly simple process.
What You’ll Need:
- Polymer clay (You can find polymer clay at your craft store. If you want to stock up on clay for future projects, Amazon has many starter kits that include over 50 colors such as this one that retails for $23.99.)
- Aluminum foil
- Mod podge or clear nail polish
- Optional: Polymer clay tools (You can find tools at your craft store or on Amazon. A simple set such as this one retails for only $13.99.)
- Optional: Markers or paint
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
- Take out whatever clay colors you choose and start working them in your hands so that they are easy to shape.
- Once worked through, roll out the clay in a rope or log shape. Eyeball an amount that will wrap around the designated finger you are creating the ring for.
- Once you have your basic ring shape down, you can begin adding designs, textures and other pieces of clay on top of the ring. Have fun with it!
- After you settled on your design, put your rings on a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place them into the oven for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take the rings out of the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes.
- At this step, you can draw on the rings with markers, paint or any other medium you choose.
- Once you are fully completed and satisfied, paint mod podge or clear nail polish on the rings for a glossy look and let dry.
There is no right or wrong way to go about making these rings. You can twist clay together into a weave design, you can do thick bands with squiggles or you can keep it simple and do solid color bands, the list goes on and on.
If you create your own polymer clay rings tag VALLEY on Instagram @VALLEYMag and share your creations.