Our editorial division consists of all writers, editors, photographers and graphic designers for both the web and print issues of VALLEY.
No prior journalism experience is required! All prospective writers will join our staff first as web writers, responsible for contributing at minimum one article per week to our website. After one semester on staff, you will then be permitted to write for our bi-annually published print magazine.
Admittance into our writing staff is based on a combined application/audition process. Below you can find the application, which has more information and should be brought to auditions completed.
Auditions will be held on Monday, December 4, at 7 p.m. in 105 Willard Building.
If you have any questions or to inquire about make-up auditions, please email Caroline Rosini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admittance into our photography staff is based on a combined application and portfolio review process. Photo assignments could consist of commercial, advertisement, beauty/fashion and events around campus, including THON. If interested, please send the application, your resume and a portfolio/sample of your work to Maria Crisafulli at email@example.com with the subject line “Valley Photo Application.”
We invite students of all majors with an interest in photography to apply. However, some necessary qualifications include:
- Must be a full-time Penn State student
- Must own or have access to an SLR digital camera
- Proficient experience with Photoshop
- Good time-management skills
- Respect for deadlines
As a photographer for VALLEY Magazine you will:
- Attend weekly meetings
- Have the opportunity to shoot for our bi-annual print editions of the magazine
- Be required to submit photographs for 1-2 online articles per week
Who You Are:
- Majoring/minoring in graphic design
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
- After Effects and HTML/CSS are a plus
- Detail oriented
- Good at receiving feedback/critique
- Can follow brand guidelines
Please send your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
Send an email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Our business division is broken up into Advertising (Ad Sales), Events, Public Relations/Marketing and Social Media.
Each of the four divisions has it’s own separate application, all of which can be found below. You may be called for an interview with your prospective director.
If you are interested in applying for more than one position, please make note of this on your applications and note which other divisions you are applying to.
ADVERTISING (AD SALES)
Responsibilities include booking and developing print/online ads with local State College businesses, and to create and update media kits. Email the application and your resume to Cassie DeLaCruz at email@example.com and Sandra Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities include organizing promotional events and fundraisers, overseeing VALLEY Week, planning and executing our launch party and more. Email a completed application and your resume to Kaitlin Miller at email@example.com and Sandra Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities include sending out fundraising and awareness letters, booking on-campus promotions for VALLEY Week, and other promotional events throughout the semester. Email the application and your resume to Alexa Turkovich at email@example.com, Caroline Sorrentino at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sandra Carrillo at email@example.com.
You will have the unique opportunity to work with the Editorial and Business divisions to create new social media content. If interested, please send a completed application and your resume to Natalia Mujica firstname.lastname@example.org and Sandra Carrillo at email@example.com.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube.
- Agree not to write or work for any other publication specific to our campus.
- Able to adhere to Valley’s social media style.
- Willing to commit to 24/7 social media management responsibility.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ALL VALLEY MAGAZINE STAFF MEMBERS
- Attend weekly Monday night meetings — Business at 8 p.m. and Editorial at 8 p.m.
- Attend, participate and contribute to all VALLEY Magazine events.
- Agree to not write or work for other publications specific to our campus. This includes The Daily Collegian, Onward State, HerCampus, The Odyssey Online and Spoon University (PSU). If you have any questions regarding whether a publication you currently write or work for is acceptable, please email Caroline Rosini at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Agree to commit to our staff for the entire semester.