We are no longer accepting applications for our Spring 2018 Staff. Check back in April 2018 for more information on our Fall 2018 Staff applications!
Our editorial division consists of all writers, editors, photographers and graphic designers for both the web and print issues ofÂ VALLEY.
No prior journalism experience is required!Â All prospective writers will join our staff first as web writers, responsible for contributing at minimum one article per week to our website. After one semester on staff, you will then be permitted to write for our bi-annually published print magazine.
Admittance into our writing staff is based on a combined application/audition process. Below you can find theÂ application, which has more information and should be brought to auditionsÂ completed.
Auditions will be held on Monday, December 4, at 7 p.m. in 105 Willard Building.Â
If you have any questions or to inquire about make-up auditions, please email Caroline Rosini at email@example.com.
Admittance into our photography staff is based on a combined application and portfolio review process.Â Photo assignments couldÂ consist of commercial, advertisement, beauty/fashion and events around campus, including THON. If interested, please send the application, your resume and a portfolio/sample of your work to Maria Crisafulli atÂ firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Valley Photo Application.”
We invite students of all majors with an interest in photography to apply. However, some necessary qualifications include:
- Must be a full-time Penn State student
- Must own or have access to an SLR digital camera
- Proficient experience with Photoshop
- Good time-management skills
- Respect for deadlines
As a photographer forÂ VALLEY MagazineÂ you will:
- Attend weekly meetings
- Have the opportunity to shoot for our bi-annual print editions of the magazine
- Be required to submit photographs for 1-2 online articles per week
Who You Are:
- Majoring/minoring in graphic design
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
- After Effects and HTML/CSS are a plus
- Detail oriented
- Good at receiving feedback/critique
- Can follow brand guidelines
Please send your portfolio to email@example.com
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.orgÂ andÂ email@example.com
Our business divisionÂ is broken up intoÂ Advertising (Ad Sales), Events, Public Relations/Marketing and Social Media.
Each of the four divisions has itâ€™s own separate application, all of which can be found below.Â You may be called for an interview with your prospective director.
If you are interested in applying for more than one position, please make note of this on your applications and note which other divisions you are applying to.
ADVERTISING (AD SALES)
Responsibilities include bookingÂ and developing print/online ads with local State College businesses, and to createÂ and update media kits. Email the application and your resume to Cassie DeLaCruz at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sandra Carrillo at email@example.com.
Responsibilities include organizingÂ promotional events and fundraisers, overseeing VALLEY Week, planning and executing our launch party and more.Â Email a completed application and your resume to Kaitlin Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sandra Carrillo at email@example.com.
Responsibilities includeÂ sending out fundraising and awareness letters, booking on-campus promotions for VALLEY Week, and other promotional events throughout the semester.Â Email the application and your resume to Alexa Turkovich at firstname.lastname@example.org, Caroline Sorrentino at email@example.comÂ and Sandra Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will have the unique opportunity to work with the Editorial and Business divisions to create new social media content. If interested, please send a completed application and your resume to Natalia Mujica email@example.com andÂ Sandra Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube.
- Agree not to write or work for any other publication specific to our campus.
- Able to adhere to Valley’s social media style.
- Willing to commit to 24/7 social media management responsibility.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ALL VALLEY MAGAZINE STAFF MEMBERS
- Attend weeklyÂ MondayÂ night meetings â€” Business at 8Â p.m.Â and Editorial atÂ 8 p.m.
- Attend, participate and contribute to allÂ VALLEY MagazineÂ events.
- Agree to not write or work for other publications specific to our campus. This includesÂ The Daily Collegian,Â Onward State,Â HerCampus, The Odyssey OnlineÂ andÂ Spoon University (PSU). If you have any questions regarding whether a publication you currently write or work for is acceptable, please email Caroline Rosini atÂ email@example.com.
- Agree to commit to our staff for the entire semester.