Last night, the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Performers included Beyoncé, Nick Jonas, Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande, Brittany Spears, Rihanna and the Chainsmokers. The show was far from average, with each artist absolutely killing it on stage. In case you missed last night’s performances and speeches, Valley has compiled a list of some of the more important moments from last night’s award show!
1. Beyoncé breaks Madonna’s record of most VMAs. All hail Queen B.
2. Kanye West gave a nearly seven minute speech, talking about his “Famous” video and the Taylor Swift controversy. His speech lead into the premier of his music video for his song, “Fade”.
3. Beyoncé performs songs from her Formation World Tour with an ingenious production. Everything from her costume changes to the camera angles was #flawless. But would we expect anything other than perfection from her?
4. Brittany Spears returns to the VMA stage after nearly 10 years with a performance featuring G-Eazy.
5. Rihanna performed a total of four times at the VMAs, including closing out the show with a powerful orchestra production.
6. The Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon presented the award for video of the year while dressed as Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte.
7. Other presenters included real Olympians, such as Michael Phelps and four out of the five women gymnasts, Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian.
8. Rihanna receives the Video Vanguard Award, presented by non other than Drake. The Video Vanguard Award is presented to artists who have had a significant impact on MTV and is known as the Lifetime Achievement Award.
And just in case you now have FOMO, all the performances can be watched at here on Billboard’s website!