The lights, candles and ornaments have been put away and the confetti swept up. The holidays are over, and that means it’s time for the spring semester, although the weather doesn’t seem to resemble ‘spring.’ For many, heading back to Happy Valley is anything but a chore, while others struggle with the realization that they have to prepare for round two.
Regardless of your feelings, here are 16 reasons we can all get excited for Spring ‘16:
1. New schedules, classes and professors. Whatever grievances you had last semester have been left in the past and replaced with a clean slate. Make the most of it.
2. Truly cold weather. After the indecisiveness of fall, it will finally be cold enough (i.e. appropriate) to break out (and keep out) those cable knit sweaters, super cute wool socks and Bean boots.
3. The first real snow of the year. Our campus is beautiful on any given day, but a fresh blanket of snow really makes for that perfect Insta.
4. Spring sports and new Penn State Centre Stage shows. Think lacrosse, softball, baseball, golf, etc.—and they’re all free. The theatre will feature “110 In the Shade,” “Hair” and “The Importance of Being Earnest” (not free — but equally entertaining!).
5. Think THON. The Penn State community works all year #ForTheKids and the 46-hour dance marathon is the best way to celebrate all their effort in the fight against pediatric cancer.
6. A concert line-up full of heavy hitters at the BJC. With Fetty Wap, Jason Aldean, Lil Wayne and Luke Bryan all making appearances this semester, 2016 is going to be a good year for music fans in Happy Valley.
7. It’s a leap year. Yes, February 29 is on a Monday, but don’t let that dampen the excitement for all you leap day babies getting to celebrate your actual birthdays this year. Brace yourself for the Facebook notifications.
8. March Madness. Although you may not see the Nittany Lions on anyone’s bracket, that doesn’t make the brackets any less fun to create.
9. State Patty’s Day — the one time of the year wearing kelly green is encouraged.
10. March 20, the first day of spring. Once the campus has escaped the tundra, the greenery will return and add a ‘spring’ to everyone’s steps.
11. The opening of the HUB green roof terrace. No longer forced to merely peer through the glass at this cool outdoor space, this spring you will be able to enjoy a little fun in the sun on the HUB roof.
12. The Blue-White football game. Dig out those game day outfits and shine those cowbells, you’re going to need them.
13. Spring break. Enough said.
14. Movin’ On, Penn State’s annual free music festival. Yet another reason for music lovers to rejoice!
15. Presidential election primaries. Voting is your right. Get to know the candidates, find out who you like and show them your support.
16. For those of you that are seniors, it’s time to say goodbye to the student section and hello to the “real” world. Whether you’re smiling, crying or both, remember that the Nittany Lion inside you will continue to roar.
Whether this semester is your first, second or last here at Happy Valley, enjoy it and make the most of it. Sometimes, spring semester can go faster than fall!